Children 3 Years Old through 5th Grade
Sunday School classes meet regularly from the end of August until the end of May. Sessions begin at 9:30 a.m. and conclude at 10:45 a.m. The first 15 minutes is for opening. The remainder is class time.
We really enjoy meeting children who are visiting or coming to Sunday School for the first time. Parents are encouraged to bring their children into the Education Center. The Sunday School Ministries Director will help you get your children into the appropriate class and acquainted with their class leaders.
Our Sunday School classes use the "Seasons of the Spirit" Curriculum which provides lectionary-based resources for worship, Christian education, and ministries of serving. These resources nurture faith through liturgy, ritual, imagination, and encourage Christian growth through worshipping, learning and serving together. By equipping and enabling leaders, "Seasons of the Spirit" strives to empower children, youth and adults to articulate "the hope that is in them." Our vision is of an authentic Christianity lived in a culturally diverse and religiously pluralistic world.
The vision of Seasons of the Spirit is that each section of the resource:
· invites us to explore meaning and mystery in the Bible through the lectionary;
· encourages us to experience the transforming power of Christ as together worship, sacraments, and education work in our lives;
· calls us into the ecumenical, global, and inclusive heart of the church where these resources are grounded and shaped;
· nurtures faith by engaging the imagination through the Bible, tradition, science, technology, and the arts;
· engages responsibly and creatively the contemporary teaching and learning environment of Christian congregations and parishes;
· sends us into the contemporary world with its current events, issues, knowledge, and discoveries acting as an arena to test, share, and live out our faith.
TOGETHER IN FAITH
is a new program we are implementing at Christ Lutheran. This unique curriculum gives parents the opportunity to experience Sunday school with their chidren, ages three years to fifth grade. Sharing this special time a few Sundays per year enables families to learn the basics of the Bible, prayer and worship while growing together in faith. The blend of Bible stories, games, theme-related activities, and parent-child conversations create fast-paced, active sessions that are as enjoyable for adults as they are for children.
Unique Focus for Each Age Group:
- Age 3: Talking with God
- Age 4: Learning to say "I'm sorry," and to forgive others
- Kindergarten: Using Jesus' prayer to teach us to trust God fro all we need
- Grade 1: Applying God's rules to our lives
- Grade 2: Trusting God to bring good things into our lives
- Grade 3: Learningwhy and how to read the Biible
- Garde 4: Expressing our beliefs in God- Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- Grade 5: Discovering the things that make faith great
The Memory Book has selected Bible verses, prayers, creeds, portions of Luther’s Small Catechism, and the 10 Commandments for children to master at designated grade levels. Children who master the entire book are placed in the Memory Book Hall of Fame.
An important part of our Sunday School program is service projects. These projects are real opportunities to practice the two habits called GIVE and SERVE. Projects that have been done in Sunday School include:
- Pound-for-Pound - donate items to stock local food pantries
- School Kits for Lutheran World Relief
- Heifer International Gift Ark
- Operation Christmas Child for Samaritan’s Purse (shoeboxes)
- Mitten Trees (winter wear to keep local children warmer)
- Christian Valentines - for local nursing homes and homebound friends
- Toys / Books from Us - collecting gently used items for places that provide care for children,
- Shoes for Orphan Souls with Buckler Orphan Care International.
Special events are important to our Sunday School children and staff. These are favorite opportunities to practice the habits called ENCOURAGE, WORSHIP, PRAY (Praise), and INVITE. We have:
- Prayer Vigils,
- Ice Cream Sundae School
- Sunday School Christmas Service
- Spiritual Birthday Party